That Obscure Object of Desire (1977)

Basically, this is kind of what I have been through myself in real life. Even though the girl I encountered didn't appear with two different faces, but deep down she has two sides of her - one saying she loves you so much; another side teasing you. Although she isn't as bad as Conchita in this film, and I'm not as rich or old as Mathieu, however from the male point of view, when she's doing these things to you, it all feels very much similar. The title "That Obscure Object of Desire" says it all. What do your desire when you're in a relationship? Eternal love? Physical pleasures? Money? It's all very obscure. What do you want? What I want? How do we fulfill or compromise with each other? Luis Buñuel shows these problems, disturbs our reality with his surreal visions, forces us to questions ourselves. This is a very remarkable achievement by someone who has been doing that for all his life. Enough said, it is often not a pleasurable viewing experience with his films.  If I never have personal experiences, I wouldn't relate to this film as much, and like it as much.

That Obscure Object of Desire (1977)

No comments: