The Stranger by Camus


I don't find this book that absurd at all. It's the dark side of the reality, our absurd reality. I like Camus' philosophy of life, ultimately pessimistic and atheism. I was surprised that such a short novel carries so much philosophy, meaning and questions - love, crime, death, justice, friendship, family, marriage, religion, truth... this is a book I'll read over and over again in the future. I found the cartoon quite funny, this scene at the beach, I still can't quite figure why Meursault wants to kill the Arab. Perhaps he has enough "the harmony of the day!"


I especially love how the relationship with Marie was portrayed, I can see a lot of myself in that, except that I care about other people's feeling too much, unlike Meursault. I could not tell those who loved me the true feelings I have, it'd be too brutal. When I read the following passage, I laughed out loud. This cruel honesty has a kind of comical sense to it, because I can understand him so well.
That evening Marie came by to see me and asked me if I wanted to marry her. I said it didn’t make any difference to me and that we could if she wanted to. Then she wanted to know if I loved her. I answered the same way I had the last time, that it didn’t mean anything but that I probably didn’t love her. "So why marry me, then?" she said. I explained to her that it didn’t really matter and that if she wanted to, we could get married. […] Then she pointed out that marriage was a serious thing. I said, "No."

No comments: