Splendour In The Grass 2010 Part IV

Day Three:

Same as usual, I got there late, around 1 or 2pm. I was going to get there earlier to see Frightened Rabbit, but couldn't get up. To travel for two hours back and forth everyday is just tiring. So the only I wanted to see at the time, was Miike Snow. They're a heavy electronic-infused band. Full of disco and synth beats. I got bored, and went out in the middle of the set.
By now, I don't remember much about them. I don't recall anything spectacular either.

Last Dinosaurs. I went to see them, because I like what I saw back to their small EP launch gig. It was a tiny place. They just stood in front of the audience and did fuck all, everybody there apparently knew them well enough and sing-along. It was fun. But, put them here... is a bit too much for them. Apart from their super single, Honolulu, all other songs sound plain. Plus, they haven't written many good new songs, except one, about...kebabs? I don't know, I wish them would release a proper decent album. Another thing, they asked the audiences to blow condom-balloons. Suddenly there're many pink oily balloons flying everywhere. Very mature.

This is Fanfarlo's first time in Australia. Fanfarlo's performance was absolutely brilliant. Frontman Simon Balthazer has an easy, soulful voice that leads the music around like a kid with a kite. The bass, drums, and acoustic combo was rounded out by Cathy Lucas on mandolin and impeccable harmonies while an assured Leon Beckenham took care of atmospherics, switching between trumpet, keyboards, glockenspiel, melodica, and excellent backing vocals. Beyond the elegiac tunes I think the most appealing thing about Fanfarlo at this juncture was their comfort at being precisely who they are. It's a simple yet great listening pleasure. After hearing their live, the closing song 'Ghosts' is now my favourite song.
  1. Atlas
  2. Finish Line
  3. Harold T. Wilkins, or How to Wait for a Very Long Time
  4. Lake
  5. The Walls Are Coming Down
  6. I'm A Pilot
  7. Drowning Men
  8. Fire Escape
  9. Wings
  10. Comets
  11. Luna
  12. Ghosts
This is the first time I see BSS live. And it is one of the greatest moment of my life. With no introduction, the band launched into 'World Sick', first track of the new album. When Lisa Lobsinger and Kevin Drew began singing '7/4 (Shoreline)', my eyes were full of tears. This is the power of their music. I don't know how to explain their chemistry behind it, because I don't understand it, I simply feel  it, it's so strong. Their set completely blew me away. Only I wish it was three hours long... or even all night long. An hour of BSS is not enough!!!  If you have been to BSS live, you know what I am talking about. Words never amount to their music. Also, this is the night when I fell in love with Lisa!
  1. World Sick
  2. Stars And Sons
  3. Texico Bitches
  4. 7/4 (Shoreline)
  5. Fire Eye'd Boy
  6. Forced to Love
  7. All to All
  8. Anthems for a Seventeen Year-Old Girl
  9. Cause = Time
  10. Superconnected
  11. Meet Me In The Basement
I wanted to see Jonsi, but I could not leave BSS for Jonsi. So after BSS, I rushed to Mix Up stage, but Jonsi was almost over. I could only see him wearing feathers on his head, shaking his heads vigorously. Then it's over. Okay... I squeezed my way to the front to wait for Goldfrapp.

I love Goldfrapp's first album, Felt Mountain. The distant, cold, atmospheric sound scape. But with her recent releases, she clearly wants to be a disco queen, and she is. The set was full of these pumping singles, like 'Believer' and 'Alive' are no brainers you can sing along to on the second verse. However, it's great though, to see everyone jumping and singing. I guess that was about it.


I took this video, with my phone. Maybe one day, I will write a blog about it.

I admit, I'm not very familiar with all Pixies songs. I only know about half of the songs they played. They are quite weird in some aspects. Frank Black, Joey Santiago and drummer David Lovering would not talk at all on stage, except when Frank was singing and shouting. Kim Deal would not be seem on the big screen. So for the whole time the camera was pointing people who don't speak at all. The stage design is kind of weird too. But they're Pixies. Encores are almost surely to be these two songs. That was also a highlight of Splendour in the Grass, and a highlight in my life. Singing "Where Is My Mind", and "Here Comes Your Man" with Pixies and twenty thousand people. Perfect ending!

Cecilia Ann
Rock Music
Bone Machine
Monkey Gone to Heaven
Gouge Away
Hey
Velouria
Dig for Fire
Allison
Debaser
Planet Of Sound
Alec Eiffel
Caribou
U-Mass
River Euphrates
Cactus
Break My Body
Wave Of Mutilation
Tame
Isla De Encanta
Broken Face
Nimrod's Son
Gigantic

Encore:
Where is my Mind
Here Comes Your Man

related post:
Splendour In The Grass 2010 Part III
Splendour In The Grass 2010 Part II
Splendour In The Grass 2010 Part I

No comments: