L'amour l'après-midi (Love in the Afternoon)


First of all, R.I.P: Eric Rohmer. He passed away about two weeks ago.

My first Eric Rohmer's movie is L'ami de mon amie (Boyfriends and Girlfriends). I wasn't impressed at all. The setting is beautiful, acting is good, but the story? I don't know, it's pretty average. Just like an average tv comedy drama that only runs for an hour and a half. To be honest, I don't think it's that funny at all...

However this movie is on a different level.

Frédéric leads a bourgeois life; he is a partner in a small Paris office and is happily married to Hélène, a teacher expecting her second child. In the afternoon, Frédéric loves to go to the Café to have his sandwiches, also he loves to observe all kinds of woman in the busy streets of Paris. He imagined all kinds of possibilities to have connection with the surrounding beauties. I particularly love this part of the film. Simply because it happened to me as well. I was in a classroom with 30 girls, and 2 or 3 guys but i'll ignore them for now. It's a very difficult situation. I acknowledge their youthful beauties surrounding me. I wish I was with any one of them, or everyone of them. I imagine all kinds of things, flirting with them, kissing them. But, they only exist in my imagination. Actually I didn't have any intention to talk to them, because I was in a relationship, a relationship when I couldn't see my lover for a long time. I find it more or less like a torture. "see her? what a beautiful creature she is! it's right here! no, you can't have it!" This is basically what this film is about.

Then there comes Chloe. A beautiful woman, cynical about men, confident of her power of seduction. Of course, she is the ultimate fantasy of any male. Could Frédéric overcome Chloe's challenge against his own monogamy mortality? Is this real love or is this a game? Even if he turned down Chloe and be faithful to Hélène, is Hélène faithful to him the way he does?

It's a good movie! I should check out other moral tales!


**spoilers** I have a feeling that Hélène actually cheated on him. That's why she cried right?

No comments: