Splendour In The Grass 2010 Part III

Day Two:

Okay... I forgot to bring my camera that day. I stole these.

After taking 2 hours transportation, I finally arrived there around one o'clock. With no particular band I wanted to see at the time, we stayed at the Amphitheatre stage, sitting on the grass, waiting for The Drums, also watching Band of Skulls. I never heard of their music before, but I quite like their music, very direct and powerful, kind of like The White Stripes. Their set was pretty good, with lots of catchy songs. The time now is about two. Two Door Cinema Club has started playing over GW stage. I wanted to see them too. I love their Phoenix-esque sounds from their debut record. But if I have to choose between TDCC and The Drums, I definitely choose The Drums. Their music is not something new, not something genuine, but hell, they're FUN!

Each one of the four lads took to the stage in a different coloured shirt. I’ve liked their album a lot lately, but what doesn’t translate on wax is lead singer Jonathan Pierce’s personality and sentiment. Clearly a Smiths and Joy Division fan, his hip shakin’, hand flickin’, body twistin’, overly theatrical style really suits their lyrics and punchy sound. It didn’t feel contrived. 'Best Friend' – a song about Pierce’s dead best friend – translated so much more poignant live than ever on record. Watching their tambourine player Jonny on 'Don’t Be a Jerk' was like watching cupid jimmy-jangle. It was the campest and cutest display of percussion I have ever seen. “This song’s about having a lot of fun, it’s the only thing that matters” was the introduction to the song 'I Need Fun In My Life', but that rule applied to them all. Just about every songs on the record were played, and sounded so much better live. I pretty much danced and sang all the way through the set, except for their closing song, 'Down By The Water' (i didn't dance, but sang too). All I can say is... I recommend you witness their chirpy ditties in real life, it’s most certainly a lot of fun.

After The Drums, I headed over to Mix Up stage to see Delphic, but I didn't. To be honest, I don't even like their record. To me, they sound like a high-tech computer with no soul at all. New Order? C'mon, give me a break. They are nowhere near. I especially hate the track 'Red Lights', singing "red lights" over 50 times in a song can only sound annoying. With no any other bands I really wanted to see, I went back to Amphitheatre stage to sit and chill. Then Operator Please came out. I actually wanted to leave, but can't be fucked to walk through the crowd again, plus I wanna see Tame Impala after these guys. I wish I didn't see them seriously. Beside that they sound shit, they also sound like the trying-too-hard-to-please kind. Just generally bad as a band.

Tame Impala took the Amphitheatre stage at 6:15, just as the sun set and it was a perfect slot for them - enough daytime heat haze for their extendable laconic jams to soothe the frontal lobe and enough groove and riffery to suggest the oncoming evening (as well as in more than a few instances, the band following them: Wolfmother). What set the Perth quartet apart however was Kevin Parkers' voice. His voice doesn't sound as dreamy as on the record, but the music is still there. The psychedelic sound hovers the mountain, it surely sounds great. Now I appreciate the record even more, apart from these hit singles 'Solitude Is Bliss' and 'It's Not Meant To Be'.

Because I really don't wanna miss out on Florence + The Machine. I slided into Wolfmother' fan crowd down the front of lower Amphitheatre stage (not very front tho). Wolfmother proved to be one of Australian's favourite band. With Andrew's crazy guitar solo and punchy drumming, Wolfmother has everything to rock and to roll, and they rock hard. I only know three of their songs, 'Joker & The Thief', 'Vagabond' and 'Woman'. These are great songs, and they're definitely a great band, but I'm just not that crazy about them. Anyhow, it's great to see everyone was so into the performance. But I just realised that I ain't seen nothing yet after the next two acts. Of course, I didn't know that...yet. Right after Wolfmother, the crowd started moshing around. There was no way of getting out. I was literally stuck in the crowd. A very rare experience for me though.

I don't know where to begin. Her set was simply amazing! Welch's evident excitement, bounciness and vocal ability is incredible and just so very likeable. Dressed in a long white witchy-looking wedding dress, complete with hooded cape and signature red hair, Welch stood as some sort of distant talisman to the tens of thousands in her presence. She played her new track 'Strangeness and Charm' amongst a slew of slower ballads, but it was tracks like 'Kiss With a Fist', 'Rabbit Heart (Raise it Up)' and 'Dog Days' that were what the punters came for. They say that star power is when all the girls want to be her and all the guys want to be with her. Florence has it. 

During the break in between, the crowd was already off chain. It's even worse when The Strokes came out. Everyone was fucking mad!!! As Julian Casablancas called us "cauldron of humanity". I was one of many who knew all the lyrics, and knew what song it was the music dropped, fuck, I was so into the show. Though, The Strokes live doesn't sound that much different from CD. But if you have been inside the front crowd, you will never forget such an incredible experience, especially who? The fucking Strokes! Also, I considered myself pretty lucky, to be able to catch them before they release another new album. I got to hear all the songs that I love, fucking brilliant. After all these years listening to their albums, eventually... fuck, I still love The Strokes. They're so cool.....

New York City Cops
The Modern Age
Hard To Explain
Whatever Happened?
You Only Live Once
Soma
Is This It
Vision of Division
I Can't Win
Reptilia
Last Nite

Encore:
Juicebox
Someday
Under Control
Heart in a Cage
Take It Or Leave It

related post:
Splendour In The Grass 2010 Part II
Splendour In The Grass 2010 Part I

No comments: