Splendour In The Grass 2010 Part II


Day One:



When I got there, it was already 1 o'clock. The traffic is crazy, fucking took me three hours to get there. Joy Formidable was playing at 12, so I missed it. I actually really wanna see them, cuz I really like the EP, especially the first five songs. Oh, well... it's not really a un-missable band. After grabbing something to eat, I went to Mix Up stage waiting for SVIIB. I have seen them before in a smaller venue, and wasn't very impressed by their live show, mainly due to the programmed drumming. To my surprise, they changed, they added a drummer! It was a much better, fuller sound. Better than record, I would say. They were loud, but too loud for the vocals. I can barely hear what the beautiful twins were singing. Oh well, it's shoegaze, it doesn't matter that much. The whole set sounds like an expended version of my favourite MBV song "Soon", which was great. But what really annoyed me was Foals' fans, bunch of idiots shouting "Foals" in SVIIB's face. If they don't want to listen, then just get the fuck out of there.

After SVIIB, I quickly got away from the Mix Up stage, went to a shady place relaxing and listening to the Foals from a distance. Apparently Foals was not bad at all, I wasn't that impressed by their albums. Then I went to the biggest stage, Amphitheatre. On the way, I couldn't how many people were there to see Yeasayer. And I just realised that I could go see them, even though I don't listen to any of their albums. Oh, well never mind never mind never miiiiiiiind~ (from "Tightrope" in Dark Was The Night). Then caught a glimpse of Little Red, but quickly headed to GW stage. I really wanted to see Sally Seltmann.

Ex-New Buffalo, now Sally Seltmann came on the stage with a bouquet of roses and soloed "Dark Blue Angel" (I don't trust my memory, so...) . Then her bands came out too. I was happily surprised to see The Lucksmiths' bassist, Mark Monnone. Sally Seltmann sang almost every song from her new released album, Heart That's Pounding. Her new album is definitely love. It's a bit girly, but so very lovely too. She was funny too when she explained the story behind "5 Stars". After seeing lots of twee bands, one thing you learn is that these indie-pop bands do play good music live, but not so much different or better than albums. However, I still would go to see them if I could, sing along with them, or luckily enough to hear stories behind the songs. Anyway, I love her album, and I love seeing her live too. She's just so talented and so beautiful.

After Sally, I stayed at GW stage in the front row, waiting for Midlake. Although I like to see BRMC, but not as much as Midlake, plus I don't even like BRMC's new album. I don't like Midlake's new album that much either, compared to their last effort, Van Occupanther. But, their live performance totally changed my mind. I think I will spend some time writing another post about it. Midlake was already the highlight for the day, and was the only band that I really wanted to see.

When Midlake finished, I headed to Amphitheatre to see Angus & Julia Stone. Just the perfect music to sit down and relax, I like them. So does many other Australians, I was astounded to be see the whole place was fully packed. After them, came The Temper Trap. They are probably the most popular new Australian band worldwide, aside from Tame Impala. Thanks to (500) Days of Summer. Don't we all just love "Sweet Disposition"? The band began the show with less known songs on the album. Then invited Mumford and Sons to join them for the epic "Down River". To no one's surprise, they closed the set with "Sweet Disposition". It's quite touching to see everyone standing and sing along. This is definitely a MOMENT OF LOVE.

After Temper Trap, I headed to GW stage to check out Grizzly Bear. When I got there, it was pretty much full. I stood somewhere far away from the stage, took some photos, and headed home. I know that almost everyone loves their music, but I didn't, or I should say I haven't yet. I tried to listen to their albums, but it just didn't hit me. I only like Foreground. After talking to some other people, Grizzly Bear was one of the highlight of Splendour. On that day, LCD Soundsystem, Ben Harper, Lisa Mitchell, British India, Scissor Sisters were playing too. Jake Shears from Scissor Sisters even got completely nude!? Crazy mutherfucker. Who cares, I was happy enough to see Midlake. 

No comments: