Contagion


Director: Steven Soderbergh
Writer: Scott Z. Burns
Stars: Matt Damon, Kate Winslet, Marion Cotillard, Gwyneth Paltrow, Laurence Fishburne, Jennifer Ehle, Elliott Gould and Jude Law
Cinematographer: Steven Soderbergh
Year: 2011
IMDB

My Rating: 8/10

When you see the all-star cast like this one all featured together in a sci-fi movie, you just know that this movie is up to something special, and it is. Normally, I have no interest in this kind of disaster film. The reason is simply they are all too superficial and unrealistic. I don't know about other people, but for me, they are usually bad.

This movie is about the spread of a deadly disease, a new epidemic disease, like SARS or H1N1. The complex scenario takes place in many parts of the world, and influences many people, government, WHO, scientists, victims, and media. But, when I was in the cinema, I was thinking of how seldom I see films which are concerned about contemporary issues. Then I think again, that's because there aren't many good films about contemporary issues. Most of them are just pure fantasy, or purely bad. It is indeed very refreshing to see a film like this. All the performance are top-notch. During the scene when Matt Damon looking at the digital camera, with the U2 song playing in the background, it just breaks my heart...

In a few words, this is a strong emotional drama with realistic enough scenario to carry you along the thrilling experience.

No comments: