Herzog


Saul Bellow has just become one of my favourite writers of all-time. I, "am" Herzog, in many ways. This is another novel that has dug deep into a character's psychological mind, apart from Dostoevsky's Notes From Underground, which is another novel of "me". I have taken something like 20 to 30 pages of notes from Herzog. I don't even know how to describe the book to you. It's too personal.

Here, I throw this question, because I have been thinking about it,
"What is good literature? "

For me, good literature isn't about the smartness of wording, it definitely isn't about good storyline or awards or sales figure, and it's not so much about style. I guess for me, it's more to do with the deep understanding of characters and the universe (this, I mean everything, family, lovers, society, culture, ideology, you name them) surrounding them, the deeper the better. Is that it? No, but words always fail me, and I'll let myself fail.

No comments: