One Day


"What are you going to do with your life?" In one way or another it seemed that people had been asking her this forever; teachers, her parents, friends at three in the morning, but the question had never seemed this pressing and still she was no nearer an answer... "Live each day as if it's your last', that was the conventional advice, but really, who had the energy for that? What if it rained or you felt a bit glandy? It just wasn't practical. Better by far to be good and courageous and bold and to make difference. Not change the world exactly, but the bit around you. Cherish your friends, stay true to your principles, live passionately and fully and well. Experience new things. Love and be loved, if you ever get the chance."



Earlier this month, when I was on the plane heading back home, I saw a tall, slim and graceful woman, reading this novel. She sat in a row before me, I could see her cuddling the book almost the whole time during the long exhausting flight. I purposely peek at the title, One Day, was what it's called. The next thing I know, I found it on the shelf when I was indolently looking through literature section in the library. So I borrowed it, and finished it.

This is a lovely romantic novel, no doubt. It's fun reading it, as you see so many witty remarks and interesting proses. However, there is a sense of reality inside these characters, especially when tragedy hits. Nevertheless, I think this is a pretty good romance-comedy. Hilarious, and touching. Reading this, gives me a good break from other heavy novels that I'm reading. This is definitely lightweight, and even lighthearted. Just to note, a film adaption of this is coming this year........

No comments: