The Mirror

Director: Andrey Tarkovsky
Writers: Andrey Tarkovsky, Aleksandr Misharin, and Arseni Tarkovsky
Stars: Margarita Terekhova, Filipp Yankovsky and Ignat Daniltsev
Year: 1975 (Soviet Union)
IMDB

My Rating: 10/10

This is a perfect marriage of poetry and poetic imagery. I don't know how to say what I feel, it's so profound. I wonder if there's any better way to tell the inner life story of a man who have lived forty years who have so much memories, pain and dreams, no, not in the way Tarkovsky has done it in this film.

Just something that came through my mind when I was watching the film, now, I live in a small town in Sweden. My house is literally beside Sweden's second largest lake, Våttern. I went out for a long walk yesterday along the lake. Passing through wide empty frozen field, bare forests, small icy river streams, red country barns/houses, with sunshine on my back, I felt happy. The whole undiscovered beauty of nature was at my disposal. It reminds me of a lot of Bergman's films, particularly Wild Strawberries. Then, I see this film, it captured the kind of nature that's just outside my window. I promised myself if I don't have class in the afternoon, I would spend 2~3 hours just out walking aimlessly, and immense myself in the brace of mother nature. Truthfully, I want to hibernate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yet you said there was nothing to be jealoused about Sweden.

Btw, happy belated bday!!

-J.

Fuse said...

yeah, there's nothing to be jealous about freezing weather and stupid lake.

Thanks~