A Visit From the Goon Squad

I picked up the book in the bookstore, because I noticed few words in the back cover that quickly aroused my curiosity, like "punk rocker", "self-destruction", "funny" and so on. As I have just finished reading it, I sort of like it, a very interesting structure and concept for novel. But that's it, the story floats on daily life's surface, past, present, future (prediction), all broken down to pieces and patched together as a novel called "a visit from the goon squad". 

In one page, Egan wrote: "The problem was precision, perfection; the problem was digitization, which sucked the life out of everything that got smeared through its microscopic mesh. Film, photography, music: dead. An aesthetic holocaust!" I like the term she coined, aesthetic holocaust, it could be applied to so many other cultural/art things, books for example.

No comments: