How to Get Ahead in Advertising

Director/Writer: Bruce Robinson
Cast: Richard E. Grant, Rachel Ward and Richard Wilson
Year: 1989 (UK)
IMDB

My Rating: 9/10

Well, I study marketing, and I fucking hate it. And this film tells you exactly why we need to hate advertising/marketing. For general taste, this is a fucking weird film, but it's not done for the sake of weirdness. It's an over the top satire attacking our modern lifestyle, on advertising.

The more I learn about marketing, the more I see marketing in everything. Everything can be part of marketing. When you tell your friends some online shops have massive sale, it's a word-of-mouth marketing. When you wear some fashionable coats, you're advertising yourself and the coat. When will this fucking end? When you made that purchase, wait, no it doesn't end there... you need to keep on buying and buying buying buying and then die. But the aggregate marketing system doesn't stop because of you dying. The system has perfected itself with some help from humans. The monstrous system has already crept into everyone's mind with us knowing it, and tell us "want, need, consume". Now, isn't that a wonderful system?

I want to put some quotes here, but without context, I'm afraid they won't make much sense. Just watch it, how to get "A Head" in advertising...

2 comments:

Debby said...

Sounds like a movie I'd be interested in watching!

Fuse said...

it's a really mad and weird film, but it makes sense to me. you should watch it!