The Beautiful and Damned


My God, the first half of the story was the story of my life... I was in a relationship just like what Fitzgerald have written, except that she's not as beautiful as Gloria in the book, but her personalities and thinking are very much alike with Gloria. After I've read some critical essays, some people find that this novel lacks of unity. True, the first half of the story is quite different to the second half, but who cares! He has written this book with heart and soul (obviously, there are a lot of input from his personal life), and told the tragic romance with fierce poignancy. The joy and hardship of being in a relationship. It also questions the big question, "what's the use of doing anything when nothing is worth doing?" This is a wonderful masterpiece. Maybe because I'm a hopeless romantic, and a hopeless pessimistic... 

No comments: