The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Director: Philip Kaufman
Writers: Milan Kundera (novel)
Screenplay: Jean-Claude Carrière, Philip Kaufman
Cinematographer: Sven Nykvist
Cast: Daniel Day-Lewis, Juliette Binoche and Lena Olin
Year: 1988
IMDB

It's stupid, it's stupid to try to adapt this great philosophical novel into a movie.
The movie will never achieve what the book has achieved. But, I have to say, the crew did a great job, and it's a good movie. The music selection is quite interesting too.

There are many things I wanna say about this film. First of, I wanna mention Ingmar Bergman. Many familiar faces in Bergman's films appear in this film too. Notably the cinematographer - Sven Nykvist, one of the best in the world. Also, actors including Erland Josephson and Lena Olin, which I must say, make me like the film more.

For some reason, I just don't like Daniel Day-Lewis as Tomas. He is too... sly to be a philosophical womanizer. That's a strange thing to say, but that's how I feel. However, Juliette Binoche is simply amazing, one the most extraordinary actresses in the world. She's just phenomenal. As for nudity, I was stunned by the degree of nudity shown. These actresses really take it seriously and professionally.

Back to the book, I must admit I've almost forgot what the story was really about. I read it long time ago in Chinese, I remember it as a love story tangled in a Russian invasion. I remember it as an monologue about love, politics, sex, philosophy, and life. Perhaps I should read it in English again.

My Rating: 8/10

1 comment:

OldFlower said...

Interesting perspective...make me want to see the movie again and revisit all the memorable scenes.