The Graduate


I spent in total about 5 hours to finish this novel. It's one of the easiest novel I've read, but I absolutely love the story. There are around 50 "What!" and "I don't know", which kind of indicates that Charles Webb is emphasizing the confusion of Benjamin, at the same time, he's not going down to history as one of the great writers. Personally I am very fond of the story. The immorality of sexual affair, the confusion, the wandering, and the blind faith of true love all have a special meaning to me. Further, the movie has really painted a vivid picture of the story. When I read, in my mind's eyes, I can see young Dustin Hoffman, I can see Mrs. Robinsons removing the stocking with a leg hanging in the air, I can see Katharine Ross and Dustin Hoffman on the back of the bus, happy and confused. The melody of "God bless you please, Mrs. Robinsons" also rings in my head as I read. For the first time, this is a rare moment when book, music, and movie all blend into one. Heres to you, Benjamin.

No comments: