The Corrections

This novel brings tears and laughs out of me at the very same moment.

This is why I love American post-modern novels about family.

This is why I like reading character study novels, reading how characters constructed, deconstructed and reconstructed.

I like how this epic family story is all tied back together, it's definitely worth multiple readings.

I'm extremely delighted to see the things I liked were mentioned in a very interesting way in the book, like "secular" John Updike, modern day play of Crime and Punishment starring Giovanni Ribisi (whose girlfriend is Cat Power), the Flaming Lips, Stephen Malkmus and Ingmar Bergman films.

I knew I had something in common with this guy (Mr Franzen) when I was reading his TIME-magazine-cover column.

I'm probably talking a lot of nonsense.

But oh boy, what a WONDERFUL novel it is!!!

Now, I can't wait to start reading Freedom!!!

1 comment:

jonny said...

hey dude. check this site out. it's soooo freakin awesome!
http://www.thewildernessdowntown.com/