Hope Sandoval and The Warm Inventions @ Tivoli 24/06/2010

I have a very mix feeling about this gig. It might be my worst gig ever.

Hope Sandoval, the voice of Mazzy Star. I don't know what that means to other people, but for me, it's huge. Her voice is something else, something above. Knowing that she's coming was such a big news for me. Finally I had a chance to see her singing live. Perhaps this strong anticipation leaded to a huge disappointment.

The supporting acts were Dirt Blue Gene and Mick Turner. I don't understand their music. I'm always a pop person. I just don't like this kind of ambiguous, weird post-rock shit. Still, I managed to sit through the whole thing. The announcer also mentioned about ABSOLUTELY no photography, so I didn't take any. After a long waiting, Hope Sandoval, the one I was so eager to see, finally came out, greeted the audience with a sweet "Hello". I guess that was the only interaction she had with the audiences. Nonetheless, my heart was pounding fast to see her sing. But the gloomy feel of her songs soon covered my heart with darkness. I thought she was an angel, but now she sounded like a devil herself. Now I know why her new album is called "Through The Devil Softly". Cuz she's devil herself. I don't know what got into her. I never liked the new album much, but now I hate it. I don't think I would want to pick up this devilish album, and reminded myself of this terrible gig. She only played like two songs "Around My Smile" and "Suzanne" from the first solo album. I loved that album so much. But clearly she doesn't want to sing those songs again. Not even my favourite song, "Charlotte". More disappointingly, there were no Mazzy Star songs at all. She was on the stage for like 40 mins, and walked out in the overwhelming darkness of "For The Rest of Your Life"(this song actually sounds like an incantation) without goodbye, without thank you, nothing. And never return, without encores. Partly I blame other audiences, their poor behaviours, I remember one woman was shouting "Come out! Play something! Don't be selfish!". Oh well... I write this to put this gig behind me.

3 comments:

"news9" said...

天吶.
她的聲音聽起來像天使, 也許是這樣厭煩了人世吧.

去過也就算了了一樁遺憾了, Hope is definitely huge to all the mazzy stars fans....

Fuse said...

是阿... 去過了就算了
所以你也不用因為沒去到而太遺憾啦!

就期待Mazzy Star的專輯會很好聽吧!

yasmin said...

好過份!你竟然聽過他們的現場(哭)